Tuesday, July 20, 2010

THE BOWL IN ALL ITS GLORY

I'm talking about the Hollywood Bowl. Yes.

It's been awhile since I've been...and I must say...it is fabulous!
Probably one of the best venues in the world. No, THE best musical venue in the world.

I've traveled around quite a bit and I can honestly say, there is nothing like it. It's the first time I've been in this city in 10 years at the beginning of the season. June 18th. I was there. Opening night. I can't even honestly remember the program, but I remember the fireworks. (Well, also because my friends are the pyros at the Bowl).What I do remember though well, is that it was a beautiful night: stars in the sky, sun setting well after 8pm, some cheese, some wine and good company. Oh, and great music! You kind of get lost in the concert when you take in the atmosphere at the Bowl. I forgot how great it can be.

And, wait. It does get better. Just one week later and I'm there again. Abba fest. Not the real Abba. But the best Abba cover band from Sweden right now. And, they were great. But, I'm pretty sure my Svenska friends would cringe. Anyway, I loved it. LA is filled with all kinds...and they're not afraid to show off. It's like NYC in a way, but much more uninhibited, if you can believe. Men in drag. Girls with pink hair and cowboy hats. Just fun!

But, this particular night was special. "Take a Chance on Me." Right before the start of that song...the band roars into the mike..."This song is dedicated to LH." LH?! That is my friend from high school. I'm actually going to the Bowl with her tomorrow. Now THIS is a Bowl fanatic. She goes to a ton of concerts each season. And, she loves it. She lives it. And, I think it's great. I digress. And, at the end of the song...the band member says: "I hope she said yes!" Kudos to NT! Clearly, he proposed to MY childhood friend in front of thousands.

Long story short, when I asked about it the next day, the story goes something like this. He met her at this concert last year. No, he is not gay. It was through mutual friends. That's why he decided to propose...one year later. But, I have to say this is by far, the most romantic true show of love. He didn't just say: I love you. He screamed it! And, he's subsequently ruined it for all other men thereafter. He planned (of course) to bring a giant banner that said "TAKE A CHANCE ON ME." But, get this: he tried to contact the band beforehand to get them to dedicate this song. Unsuccessful. But a colleague of his overheard what he was doing and decided to take the reins. And, succeeded! Taking a stand for love! You gotta love it. It doesn't happen often.

I've been to the Bowl now 4 times since the season started mid-June. The music is fantastic. The atmosphere is out of this world. It's romantic. It's magical (not in the hocus pocus way). Things happen there. And it IS Los Angeles. If you haven't been yet...you are missing out.

I don't plan to miss out again. Even if I don't end up in LA.



No comments:

Post a Comment