Friday, January 22, 2010

RAIN RAIN GO AWAY...

Come again another day...

Well, maybe I shouldn't wish for that explicitly because it really will come another day... and likely next week! It's been one solid week of torrential downpours here... thunder, lightning, the works! I mean, come on people...is this what I came back to LA for?

I must admit...California has been in dire need of rain. So, this is a good thing. I remember growing up here and the word "drought" was mumbled every other day on the local news. Yawn. Conserve water. Turn off the shower while you are soaping your hair, etc. So, I guess I can't complain. We need the rain. But, trekking out in this kind of weather just isn't what you would call easy. Especially for a car-centric city like Los Angeles.

On the flip side...I have to compare this to what I've been through in the last 8 years and you couldn't pay me enough to move back to the midwest or east coast (unless of course the salary was too good to refuse) . Let's see...winter, spring and summer in Chicago. I remember freezing ice in my nose, a black and blue ass from slipping on the ice, unbearable winds, plus muffled and humid summers. Summer and Fall in Paris...ok, but unpredictable. Fall in London...not one day without rain. Washington DC in the winter and spring--worst snow storm on the east coast the year I lived there and lots of humid rain to follow. And then, there was NYC for 6 years. Mostly, freezing and when it wasn't ...it was hot and raining. In fact, I can think of 2 summers, where there wasn't one dry day and that includes the summer I left. I like to think it was city crying because I was leaving.

That said, I need to stop complaining because I've got it pretty good out here in California. It will always be beautiful here and THAT never gets old. I like to wake up to sunshine (on most days). And if I were to ever move anywhere else, it would have to be nice and warm and sunny.

California rain--I say to you...keep the tears flowing for now. But, make sure you pour it all out and stay behind that sunshine for the rest of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment