Thursday, January 14, 2010

DRUMROLL...I PICKED YOGA!

Happy New Year to everyone near and far!

2010 has started off with a bang and it's been a good one so far. Yes...I realize we're only 2 weeks into the year. But, my philosophy is...if it starts off great...it usually runs along that course for at least a little while. I predict it will be a year of adventure for me and I'm just going to go with the flow. Things have already happened that I would have never expected to happen. Good things. Things that make me happy. I realize I can't control the course of life (as much as I would like), but I can at least enjoy the ride. Right?

That said...I'm responding to my last post about yoga and pilates. Guess what? I picked Yoga! I never thought it would happen, but it did. Unexpectedly. Pleasantly and unexpectedly. I know...I was a real downer about the yoga train. But, I went on an unexpected vacation to Hawaii and got sucked into it. Well, more like...FORCED into it.

"What are you going to do while I do yoga?" says my travel partner. Sleep, I'm thinking in my head. But hey...would it REALLY hurt me to get up early and stretch my limbs? I guess not. And, the banana bread, papaya and organic tea revved me up enough to get moving at an ungodly morning hour. So...we trekked up to my first class.

I think it was the view that got me. Sun rising, view of the ocean from a hill. Let me tell you...the scenery definitely helped get me into the practice. A lot of stretching and breathing and a little bit of uncomfortable-ness. But, I have to admit...I felt unbelievably relaxed when it was all said and done. In fact, I couldn't even speak for a good half hour after the class.

So curious about yoga, I was excited to do it again the next day! This time, it was a class on the beach. Looking back now...not the best class or teacher, but still an amazing experience with a great backdrop setting.

So, when I got back to LA, I researched all the yoga studios in my area and found one about 2 blocks away. I am in heaven at least twice a week. But, I try to hit it up about 3 times a week. Now all those poses--the downward dog, child's pose and the warrior don't actually seem so foreign or insane afterall. And, my body feels amazing.

I also have a little secret about my love for yoga that sort of enhances the experience. And, only one other person really knows what I'm talking about. We laugh and joke about it. It's ridiculous really, but I think we'll just keep it between the two of us.

Thanks JS for getting me into yoga. It's something that really enhances my life and helps me clear my head when things get out of control or my emotions and body feel out of check. Another friend of mine said to me today: "I'm not really a big yogi." That's what I said before...but, I think it just takes one incredible experience to reel you in. I say to that friend--try it again. It may actually surprise you.

2 comments:

  1. So great to read...especially because I was trying to convince you that you would love it back in 2003!!! Better late than never little miss yogi... ;) mdr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, better late then never for sure. LA is doing me good! ;)

    ReplyDelete