Friday, January 22, 2010

SANTA BARBARA WINE COUNTRY

Last weekend, we took a quick jaunt to this city, located just one hour north of Los Angeles for BW's birthday. Wine tasting was the name of the game. Obviously, I had been up there a bunch of times over the years, but this time was different. I don't think I ever really noticed how beautiful it is. I went wine tasting last year actually, but I'm not sure I took the time out to notice the beauty of the surrounding hills in the Santa Ynez valley. Lush, green and just plain unique. Maybe the wine was getting to me. But, I really started to wonder what it would be like to live in a place like this or any other wine-soaked region in California.

The day with the girls was incredible and I must admit, BW was on a mission. A wine-drinking mission. I just couldn't keep up. What was it...5 or 6 wineries in a span of 4 hours? We're talking about 4 women, laughing like it was going out of style, dirty pictures and conversations that can't be printed here. (Thank you DH). Think Sideways. We even went to the Hitching Post for dinner. But,it's all fun and games while the drinking goes on...but, the next day calls for a pounding headache.I ended up staying at the quaint Santa Ynez Inn with a friend and we literally, could not move the next day. Clearly, there is such a thing as too much wine, especially for 30 and 40 somethings.

But, everything in moderation is good. And, I still believe that mantra even after that blurry morning. I mean, I've always wanted to open up a winery. And, it's still a dream for me. I must admit...I don't know a whole lot about wine, except that I like to try them and enjoy what makes each one different. (Wish I had that same attitude about men!) But, I know what I can do...and that's marketing. I've been told that I'm a genius in that department. In fact, I've been told that, only I would be able to sell ice to an eskimo! Nice compliment IM!

Plain and simple...I just need the cash. Said friend mentioned above is actually moving away from Santa Barbara. He's looking to invest in something, but I'm pretty sure that winery isn't in his plan for now. It's too bad because at this point in my life, I'm looking to get into something different, something new. But unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to fall back on what I know best, which I guess would be TV and writing temporarily. Well, for the moment.

I'm sure most people who know me think hey, what's this party girl at heart going to do living this quiet life running a winery? Well,I've thought the same thing. But, as I get older (and more mature, thank you)...I'm starting to enjoy the quieter and more organic life. (Ok my friends, I know you just fell out of your chairs after that comment). But, moving away from the hectic, fast-paced life back to California has done me good. I cannot tell you how many people have told me that I look younger, fresher, rested and just overall, happier. I've found yoga and peace. Maybe I'm just growing up.

Don't get me wrong....I'm still that same party girl with that travel bug underneath it all. And, I will (of course) jump at the chance to visit my old stomping grounds in NYC or travel to new places around the globe. But, whether work or a new venture take me near or far in the short term...California is now and will always be my hub.


No comments:

Post a Comment