Saturday, March 13, 2010

NEW PLACES, OLD FACES

Yes, I have changed over the last 9 years since I first left LA. But, let me say...Los Angeles has had a much bigger transformation than I have!

Thursday night really opened up my eyes to some of the new goings on in the city. Downtown LA Art Walk. Apparently, it's on the 2nd Thursday of every month. But, first -- when did downtown become the new hip place to hang out? It used to be skid row through and through. Don't get me wrong...we did pass tent city. But, they are NICE tents...no more of the homeless living in boxes like they did back when I was a kid. I digress.

So, the other night I met up with AS, LH and AK at the Art Walk. Have not seen those girls in more than 10 years! And, we've all known each other since we were 12! We grew up in LA, left LA and here we are...all back again. So, it was really nice to catch up...as if no time has passed at all.

There are a bunch of galleries all along 3 or 4 streets in downtown, along 5th, 6th, Olive and Main...and a couple others beyond. I wouldn't say all of the art is the best I've ever seen, but they're housed in pretty cool venues. Kind of reminds me a little bit of the Chelsea galleries in NYC, but less pretentious. Some of the artists sell their works, others just exhibit it. But, they're pretty accessible and open to talking to you about their pieces. All mediums...photography, acrylic, watercolor, you name it...they got it. We stumbled upon the Neon Museum...must say...it warrants another visit in the future for sure.

After a little bit of culture, we headed to one of the numerous bars in the area. Las Perlas -the new tequila bar. Much too loud for what we were looking for, but cool nonetheless. I just kept thinking...I wish they had all of these spots back when I was at 'SC. Wouldn't that have been convenient?!

A.S. had another bar in mind...kind of off the beaten track...past tent city, right behind the Biscuit Company Lofts..basically off Skid Row. Toni's...in the middle of nowhere...literally. But, walking in...well worth it. Not sure how I felt about the giant steer head on the wall and the pseudo confederate flags...but, a definite whiskey bar feel. Old school. Very Chicago-style and quiet. Perfect for our purposes. Between the cheap wine, whiskey sours, manhattans and lemon drops...a night of great conversation. (I'm sticking to the whiskey next time around).

Back to art...the scene in LA fits the city's personality. NYC goes by a work hard play hard attitude. LA goes by a word hard, then relax attitude. I feel like the art scene goes along with that...not quite as intense and competitive. I'm not into the who's who...could care less about the name dropping (quite common in the NYC art scene). AK I'm sure has a different outlook on it since she grew up in the scene here. But, I quite like it and am curious to learn more about it.

Well, it seems that people are finally realizing that I'm back in LA and it's fun to get back in the groove. I'm excited to explore more of what this city has to offer...things that didn't really exist before I left. And, I'm excited to get re-acquainted with all of my old friends. Friends who are exposing me to the fun things that I never knew about before. It's about time.

No comments:

Post a Comment