Thursday, September 3, 2009

"I never realized how much I missed you until you came back!"

That was probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me! It was over tears and several martinis.

I went to my very first media event in LA last night. A very Hollywood scene....my first since I've been back. And, it was at Bar Marmont. I've always loved the place. It's changed over the years, but it's still a fixture in LA. Kind of like the Chelsea Hotel in NYC. Well, maybe not the best comparison...but, still a fixture, nonetheless.

The event was fun, but not because of the actual event. Fun for me because of the venue...because Kiefer Sutherland and Giovanni Ribisi were there and most importantly, because I met some great new people, thanks to B.W. Of course NONE of them were American. Would you expect any less from this Russkie?

Well, I was hoping to get some business cards...and I did. But, a huge majority of them were unemployed. I should have expected as much in the sad economic predicament we're in now...especially in California. Obvious aside...it was a typical scene. The schmoozers, the wannabe transplants, the shorties, and of course, the fake-everything girls...the usual LA/Hollyweird scene. I have to say...it's kind of fun to watch. But, it's the one thing about LA I don't really miss. I guess you have the same kind of thing going on in NYC...but on a different level.

For those who are reading this and don't know me well...I left my TV job in NYC. It's the "glam" type job people love to talk about...but, in reality, is soooo un-glam. I'm not saying I hated my job. I just hated the hours and how my life and schedule were not really dictated by me. (I've always hated being told what to do). I used to work for Fox News...Fox & Friends, to be exact. Head writer for the show. A great job...but, it really burned me out...and in a nutshell, here I am...back in the city of Angels. Don't get me wrong...I still love TV (and btw, I haven't had one since I moved here - long story). But, right now...I'm just trying to get a grip and settle in here...before I go back to doing TV, writing and production.

And, to clarify--I will NEVER talk about my current job in this blog. My job pays the bills (and no, I am not a stripper or exotic dancer or anything like that). It's not a typical job...but, my bosses are nice and I help them and they helped me get back to LA. So, it's all good right now. A mutual respect and also...I've known them for years and years. They're like a second family in a way.

I digress...the point is I won't be at this job forever because I still do LOVE TV and writing, etc. And that means, I have to make contacts and at least, try to do some freelance work on the side. Hence, the media event.

I mean, can you ever make enough contacts? I'm not exactly a business card/sales-type gal...but, I need to start somewhere, right? And, I really do need to keep one foot or at least, one toe in the TV biz. Freelancing -- for now -- is the way to go for me. I'll have a lot on my plate...but, hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

I admit...tonight's blog is not the most entertaining.
Next step: call to E! Entertainment and the local channels. Will they need me on random weekend days to help out? To be continued...

Oh, and I almost forgot...I don't know how...but, I really do have a little toe dipped in the industry. S.I and I are working on a pitch for a documentary. She's got THE interview...so, that's in the works. A lot of research and work and thanks to S. for dubbing and logging and field producing. You ARE the executive producer.

ps. pics from my crazy LA media night...




No comments:

Post a Comment