Sunday, September 27, 2009

PASADENA & THE VELVET ROPE?

Pasadena.

I remember it as a cute yuppie town. Walkable. Nice little shops. A little community. Mellow. Friendly.

Well, last night I went into town with A.K. She pretty much grew up there. A nice living. But, I have to say...the place has changed.

Yes, it was a Saturday night. But, since when are there clubs in Old Town on Colorado Blvd, with blaring music coming from inside? And, what about the velvet ropes? People are ACTUALLY standing in line to go into the so-called clubs. I mean, it's not Hollywood, people!

The crowd is...well, how should I say it...not exactly how I remembered. Where did all these people come from? THIS was not the Pasadena I remember. Don't get me wrong. I still like the stores and some of the restaurants there, but Saturday night opened up my eyes to a whole new world for me there.

We started out at what used to be Moose McGuillicuddy's. It's some taco place now. I just wanted to watch the USC game on a big-screen. We ended up at the Yard House at El Paseo. I like the Yard House personally. I used to go to the one in Long Beach all the time. A.K. on the other hand ... well, it's just not her scene, I guess.

I don't know why the city is trying to become all "trendy." I kind of liked the old Pasadena. But, 10 years later and things have changed. A.K. hates the changes. I like the changes. I think I'm just surprised by them. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment